I had my first acupuncture at the last birth class and made another appointment for yesterday afternoon. It didn't really hurt at all. I guess I just sometimes felt a little prick when they put the needle in, but other than that you can't tell anything about it. I have no idea if it will help or not, but I guess we will see.
I had an interesting discussion about it with a friend. They had questions/ concerns that acupuncture originated from an Eastern religion called Taoism. I guess up until the point it was brought to my attention I hadn't really thought about it that way. I know that it did originate in Eastern religion, but I guess for me it is just a modern alternative medical procedure to use instead of medicine or other unnatural ways. Germans are really into the natural things so I think that is why it is so popular to do it here. To me it seems like a good idea to use it if it can help in pregnancy and other areas without having to go to drastic measures or use lots of medication... that is just not healthy in my opinion.
I understand my friend's point of view on the fact that we should not be putting "any other gods before us". For me though, acupuncture has nothing to do with any Eastern religious god, but just using a technique that in my opinion came from God's creation. I in no way think that by doing this procedure it means I am worshiping some other god. I also pointed out the fact that most of the nurses and doctors that I know who use the procedure are probably not even religious at all. Although, I even know a doctor in the States who is a Christian and he uses the procedure in his practice.
For me, I feel comfortable using it in a medical way and it doesn't bother my conscience or affect my relationship with God in the least. I still know that God is in control of my life and my health. I continue to pray that He watches over me and the baby and that He takes control of everything. However, I do believe that if it bothers someone's conscience they should probably not take part in it. If you feel it is wrong, then you definitely shouldn't do it. Don't let something like that affect your relationship with God.
Please share your thoughts on this topic. I am interested in what you all have to say about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ignoring medical procedures that make you better is the same as following the teachings of the Christian Scientists... those people are willing to die while not accepting medical treatment. How does that glorify the God they claim to worship? That would be like you refusing to have a C-Section if you suddenly needed one.
I agree with you, that this has nothing to do with your devotion to God. Your friend who wishes to avoid medicine developed by other religions should be careful. Many of today's medical breakthroughs are developed by atheists, or agnostics, or other religious people. I have never heard of a member of any specific church being credited as such when they are hailed for their medical prowess. Sounds like the question comes of your friend trying to clarify if the practice was a ritual worship act or just something they found that worked?
God gave humans the knowledge to be creative. The fact that acupuncture and acupressure were developed by someone who worships a different god does not take away from the effectiveness of the treatment. You are not using it as an act of worship of a foreign god.
I also agree that a person should not violate their own conscience. Your friend has the question, so they should probably not use this procedure until they have an answer.
I know some people are very leery of anything related to eastern religions. I've heard the same type of concerns about yoga and tai chi. While I believe that things like acupuncture and yoga may be practiced with religious overtones, they are also practiced in secular ways merely for their health benefits. I guess it depends on your reasons (and the reason's of the person administering the therapy or participating in the activity). I don't think the action itself is worship to anything -- the same way drinking wine or grape juice takes on a different meaning when consumed as part of the Lord's Supper. So as long as you and the other people involved only doing it for the health benefits, I don't think there is a problem with it.
I agree with both of your friends who replied above! God gave us the wisdom to discover and think for ourselves, and because of this many discoveries and practices have been developed/found to benefit many people with health issues. You are interested in this method only to help make birth easier for you and your baby! You have only that purpose in mind! So, you are using your good sense that God gave you, to protect you and Eby. What a wonderful thing! I think God would be quite pleased with your making this exciting time better!
Blessings on you and Clint and your new little baby!
As someone with a chronic illness, I have done years of research into both "western" and "alternative" medicine, and have given this one a fair amount of thought.
I agree with what has been said to a point - I think there is wisdom all over the world, whether it is related to another religion or not. I wouldn't want to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" if there is a medical treatment that some people happen to surround with pagan philosophies.
That being said, I have avoided acupuncture (and yoga) for a couple of reasons.
First, unlike many other examples of eastern medicine, both acupuncture and yoga are based on beliefs that are completely contradictory to Scripture. In other words, they're not just thrown in and associated with false religion, they're actually founded on those beliefs. Beliefs that you wouldn't accept (ie that everything is god, and that this "force" flows through you and can be controlled through acupuncture or yoga).
This leads to a number of problems. For example, even if you don't accept these beliefs, your practitioner or someone who taught her does. Does that mean you're affirming this belief? What does it mean to accept a treatment based on pantheism?
My second problem is that I find the evidence that acupuncture is helpful somewhat contradictory. It's been well sold to our society, but when I drill down to look at the evidence, it's not so convincing. In other words, there are probably a dozen other options that would work just as well in any given case. I would rather spend my energy (not my divine bioenergy!) finding something based in science not anti-Christian philosophy. (Not that I consider science to be god either, but I do believe God gave us rational thinking - that could be a whole other discussion! Remember, I do not reject alternative medicine - far from it).
I acknowledge that there is disagreement on this topic. But I don't think it can be as simple as "ignoring" or not ignoring helpful treatment, as Chelf wrote. It's more than just asking if it bothers your conscience or not (though that is important too).
First, I think there are other options. Second, I think there are too many ethical issues (I could write more, but this is already the longest comment ever) to make it that simple. Would you accept any kind of "helpful" medical treatment, no matter what the ethics behind it? I don't think you would. There may be disagreement on this, but we can't oversimplify it.
I have heard and read about reasons why Christians shouldn't participate in acupuncture, yoga, etc. I agree with some of the comments above though. If you start cutting out some medical procedures due to their Eastern religion development, then you might need to start cutting out other medical procedures because of where, why, and by whom they originated from. That can lead you to a Christian Scientist belief. I don't think we have any evidence from the bible that that is what God wants from us. I think we are supposed to be smart about anything we participate. I watched a prenatal yoga tape the other day and just focused on the stretches and relaxation techniques, but I didn't participate in the chanting or meditating or "worshiping" the inner god within myself. I know that the stretches and relaxation help me feel better and will allow the possibility for me to have a drug-free birth.
Post a Comment