Clint and I at the church building
This is the Church of Christ (Gemeinde Christi) in Chemnitz. I'm not sure how long they have had this building, but I know it's been a while. The members have been doing a lot of work on the building in the last year or two. In fact, in March they just got their first bathroom. Well, at least their first flushing toilets. They had what is called a "plumpsklo." If you needed the restroom, it wasn't always a very pleasant experience, especially in the summer when it was very hot. It was basically the equivalent of a portapotty. Well, they added on and now have a very nice bathroom with stalls even in the women's restroom. Also, there is running water in the sink! The old sink had water that ran, but it wasn't hooked up to any pipes, so it just ran into a bucket underneath and it had to be emptied out occasionally. They also made a sort of parking place. Although it is very small and only 1 or 2 cars could fit there, it is nice for people who need to go to the church during the day to work or for anyone who needs to be dropped off closer to the building. Most recently, they built a new kitchen. In the room that used to be the kitchen, I helped re-wallpaper and scrape up carpet from the floor. They repainted the walls and are putting new carpet down. After it is finished they are going to have a "krabbelgruppe" or a play group for mothers and their children. This is going to be a great outreach in the community and I think it wil be great for the women to get to know others and invite them over to the church during the day. I am also helping in the garden now. I have only worked there a couple of times now, but I am hoping to make time to pull weeds and make sure it always looks good on a regular basis. I have had some ladies show me what all I need to do and what all are weeds. At the moment I am wanting to learn more about how to take care of gardens so that I can do something with mine at home and I think it would be a nice past time. I have always really liked flowers, but don't know about how to take care of them. Well, that is all about the church here and the work that is being done for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment