Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wittenberg

The weekend that the Vienna Studies students were with us we went to Wittenberg. I had never been there so it was very interesting. I learned a lot about Martin Luther here. In the picture above you can see the Church where Luther posted the 95 theses and there is also a museum called Lutherhaus (Luther house). It was once a monastery and where Luther lived. We were able to see the first copy of the Bible in German that he translated and one of the earliest copies of "A Mighty Fortress" which was also written by Luther. Around the church's tower you can read the words "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott" which means "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went there on a campaign once. It truly is an interesting historical town!

amy nickerson said...

I never made it to Wittenberg while over there. Wish I could have seen it. Anyway, hope you guys are doing well. I sure miss Germany something fierce! Take care!!

April said...

Bri,
Yes the city really is full of history and is so amazing. I learned quite a bit.

Amy,
I miss you soooooo much! I love you!