Thursday, March 08, 2007

"Mathematically, this shouldn't have happened"



Does anyone else have problems knowing what to say or how to start every single post? I guess I'm just not that creative so I struggle with it every time. Oh well, I am just trying to make my family at least happy to let them know what is going on with me. Hopefully there are some more of you out there that enjoy reading this. Well, right now I am sick. Yeah... yesterday I woke up with my throat on fire and I knew that the past two weeks of trying not to get sick had caught up with me. I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics and now I'm at home laying/lying?? on the couch because I don't have the energy to do anything else. Anyway, since I am now out of commission because of being sick and I haven't posted in a while, I thought I would update with some things that went on in February.

First of all I have to tell you about Saturday, February 10th. We had the monthly fellowship singing in Chemnitz. Many of the members of the Church in Saxony all get together and sing together one Saturday every month. It is always nice to get caught up with people and enjoy praising God all together.

That day was my friend Vanessa's birthday so several of us were going straight to her house afterwards for her birthday party. We had decided we could all fit into two cars so Pam drove and Clint drove. As we were leaving I jumped into Pam's car to ride with the girls while Alex rode with Clint. We made it to Vanessa's house and as we were looking for a parking spot on the road across from her house Pam turned on her signal to turn around and park on the other side of the road. Apparently from behind came two guys on a motorcycle who wanted to pass us all because we had stopped. Pam started to turn and stopped just as the motorcycle tried to pass us, but instead slammed into the left fender and fell off of their bike. Thankfully they had helmets on and were not injured at all, but as soon as Pam tried to move the car out of the road we discovered that the tire was flat. The thing that makes it better is that it was cold and rainy that night and Courtney and Pam had both been sick. Anyway, to make a long story short Clint changed the tire and everything was alright. The guy on the motorcycle admitted that he saw her turn signal and that it was his fault.

Thankfully we were able to go inside, get warm and enjoy the party with Vanessa. By the way, I must say I am proud that Clint really stepped up to take care of the situation with changing the tire and making sure everything was OK. :) Anyway, we got Vanessa the blanket/poncho that she is wearing in the photo above and this feet warmer thing from IKEA because she is always cold. :) I think she likes it and will get a lot of good use out of it. The party was fun and we enjoyed looking at baby pictures and videos of Vanessa.

On the way home Clint was leading and suddenly we noticed that Pam had stopped so we pulled over and asked what was wrong. It was unbelievable... the other tire was flat!! It wasn't even on the same side and was nowhere near where the accident occurred. This is when Alex, in his typical mathematic way said, "mathematically, this shouldn't have happened." We got a pretty good laugh out of that one. Basically, the chances of that happening all on one night were so low, but it did happen to us! So, Clint stepped up once again and thankfully our spare tire from our car actually fit her car, otherwise we would have been in trouble. Clint got it changed and on the way home we stopped to put air in the tires at a gas station. We finally arrived home around midnight!

Of course from this situation we realized that God had taken care of us through all of it. I mean, mathematically speaking once again, what are the chances that we would have two cars with two spare tires that work on one car and still be able to get home safely without God's help. After the second tire went flat we stopped and prayed together and I guess we should have prayed before that, but I guess God let us know He was there!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta say, I sure am glad that God is more powerful than math :)

thegermanygirl said...

Well, if Alex gets to be the consummate mathematician, then I'll be the consummate linguist and tell you that you are at home lying on the couch. As in, "Since I lay down on the couch ten minutes ago, I am now lying on the couch. ;o)

However, I'll also be a good friend and tell you again that I'm sorry you're so sick! We prayed for you at Ladies' Class tonight. I hope you feel better really soon!

The night of the tire-changing certainly was an adventure. One I'm not sure I'd ever want to repeat, though. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hey April-
Sorry you are sick! I was hoping you would get over it without it hitting you really bad, but I guess it did... :-( Hope you will get well very soon...
I am glad you posted something about Vanessa's birthday. It was pretty "außergewöhnlich" I guess, but I am glad we all made it home save and it's just one more "fun" story to tell later!